Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Corn & Flour

Instead of tackling some of the more complex and fundamental questions of life (i.e. "Why are we here?," "Is there a God?," "Do these jeans make me look fat?"), let us essay, dear reader, to solve, once and for all, the slightly less intricate, yet equally intriguing, query:

"Should I go with the corn or flour tortilla?"

Scoff all you want my befuddled reader. Yet, try and not to sing my praises when next you purvey such fine establishments as Chevy's, El Pollo Loco, Baja Fresh, or Tito's Tacos and are asked this dire question. Ha! You shall impress the cashier/waiter by not even hesitating, not spending a single nanosecond of quietude in contemplation, and look them squarely in the eye with a supremely confident answer. Indeed, the aforementioned cashier/waiter will surely admit afterwards, "By Jove, there is an individual who knows what they want. There is an individual who has put in some study and made an informed decision about their tortilla. Such an individual I shall gladly bear their cross and follow to the ends of the earth!"

However, rather than confront this culinary dilemma with any coherent polemic, I simply offer a tune one can recite prior to ordering:

Some like their tortillas made from flour,
Some prefer corn.
From what I've tasted of burritos
I hold with those who favor flour.
But if to suffer indigestion twice,
I think I know enough of heartburn
To say that for my palette maize
Is also tasty
And would amaze.

Via con dios, mi amigos.

No comments: